Another reason for the “Could not complete your request because the smart object is not directly editable” error is that you are trying to use a grid-based tool on the shape layer. The solution is to rasterize the layer so that you can use raster-based tools.
How do I fix smart object is not directly editable in Photoshop?
Transforms, warps, and filters applied to a Smart Object are no longer editable after the Smart Object is rasterized. Select the Smart Object, and choose Layer > Smart Objects > Rasterize. Note: If you want to re-create the Smart Object, reselect its original layers and start from scratch.
How do I make my smart object directly editable?
Follow these steps to edit the contents of a Smart Object:
- In your document, select the Smart Object layer in the Layers panel.
- Choose Layer→Smart Objects→Edit Contents. …
- Click OK to close the dialog box. …
- Edit your file ad nauseam.
- Choose File→Save to incorporate the edits.
- Close your source file.
How do you change a smart object to normal in Photoshop?
Converting a Smart Object to a regular layer
- Select the Smart Object, then choose Layer > Smart Objects > Rasterize.
- Select the Smart Object, then choose Layer > Rasterize > Smart Object.
- Right-click the Smart Object in the Layers panel and choose Rasterize Layer.
Can’t edit original smart object because the file is locked?
“Could not update smart object files because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file.
Can’t edit because smart object is not directly editable?
No matter when you receive the error “Could not complete your request because the smart object is not directly editable”, the simplest solution is to open the wrong image and unlock the image layer in Photoshop. After that, you can delete, cut, or modify image selection.
Why does Photoshop say selected area empty?
You get that message because the selected part of the layer you are working on is empty..
What does smart object must be rasterized mean?
Being “Rasterized” means that it becomes an editable collection of pixels.
How do you separate a Smart Object in Photoshop?
To duplicate the layer, you click and drag the smart object layer down to the Create New Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel in Photoshop. When you get there, you let go, which results in two smart object layers now in the Layers panel. One is the original and one is the duplicate.
How do I relink a vector Smart Object in Photoshop?
Fix a broken linked Smart Object
- Right-click on the Smart Object and choose Relink to File;
- Navigate to the new location of the source file;
- Click Place to fix the broken link.
What controls whether a raw file opens as a Smart Object into Photoshop?
To open a Camera Raw file as a Smart Object in Photoshop
If you want Camera Raw to convert and open all files as Smart Objects by default, click the underlined link at the bottom of the dialog, then in the Workflow Options dialog, check Open in Photoshop as Smart Objects.
How do I unlock an image layer in Photoshop?
Lock or unlock a layer
- Click the Lock all pixels icon in the Layers panel, to lock all layer properties. Click the icon again to unlock them.
- Click the Lock Transparency icon in the Layers panel, to lock the transparent areas of the layer, so that no painting occurs in them. Click the icon again to unlock.
How do I make an editable shape in Photoshop?
Select the Shape Selection tool , and then select the Show Bounding Box option. Do one of the following: Click the shape you want to transform, and then drag an anchor to transform the shape. Select the shape you want to transform, choose Image > Transform Shape, and then choose a transformation command.